Options Evening – Year 9
Year 9 into Year 10 Options is one of the most exciting times in a student’s education as it gives them their first real opportunity to select some of the subjects that they will study for the next two years. It also marks the start of planning for their future; the decisions that they make now will have an impact on post 16 and career choices.
At Pensby our aim is to offer all students a broad, well-balanced, and relevant curriculum. All students will continue to study the examined ‘core’ subjects of English Language, English Literature, Mathematics and Science (double award or separate sciences). They will also study Physical Education, ICT, PSHE (including work related learning, sex education & careers education) and Ethics & Philosophy
In addition to these compulsory subjects, students will choose four further subjects (their optional subjects) from the following:
- Modern Foreign Languages (Spanish)
- Design Technology (Hospitality & Catering)
- Arts (Art & Design, 3D-Design & Technology, Drama, Music, Sports Studies)
- Humanities (Citizenship, Ethics & Philosophy, History, Geography, Psychology)
- Commerce and Society (Business & Enterprise, Child Development, Computing, Media Studies)
- Triple Science (leading to qualifications in Biology, Chemistry and Physics)
Every effort is made by subject teachers, form tutors, Head of Year 9, and the Senior Leadership Team, to offer students information, advice and guidance in the weeks leading up to this time of choice.
Key Dates for GCSE Options
Thursday 1st December – Online Parents’ Evening
Thursday 2nd February – Options Evening in school
Friday 3rd March – Deadline for options preference form
Summer term – Options choices confirmed
The Options Booklet and the PowerPoint presentation from Options Evening will be available from February 2023.
Irby Road, Heswall CH61 6XN